文章總列表

Holiday Bluetooth/ Embedded Engineer: buy BLE development toys

When I started to survey BLE technology, I am well aware that the battlefield of BLE development is device. To fully understand BLE technology, I shall develop my own BLE devices. After some surveying, I had 2 candidates:
Both solutions BLE SoC. I like TI's great documentation and sample codes. TI's SensorTag is an excellent sample BLE device with firmware source code and Android/ iOS application source code which could accelerate studying. Being a holiday engineer, starting from an example is much better than from scratch. However, I personally don't like 8051. That's the weakest point of TI's solution. 

In Nordic's website, they didn't allow users to download documents freely as TI. I probably need to buy their development kit then I can gain access to these data. I spent some time to find its documents & examples to ensure that they also provided similar sample projects as TI. I'm more familiar to ARM's CPU and I already invested ARM-based JTAG tool (J-Link EDU). So I prefer using nRF51822.

Prices of development kit of both platform is inexpensive: ~3000NTD ($100 USD). It's time to pick up one. But I found there's a lot of cheaper hardware in China's Taobao. By searching nRF51822 and CC2541, I found a lot of "enhanced" development boards with much lower prices. The board equipped with USB to serial IC (PL2303) which is very convenient to developers. They even put cloned J-Link on the board, which makes the board very easy to use.

I had some comment to J-Link here. Segger offered low-cost (~$80USD) J-Link EDU that is the same as J-Link except commercial usage. Since it's inexpensive, I think J-Link EDU is worth of investment.

Eventually, I bought both platforms since they were so cheap @ ~2400NTD ($80USD):
  1. nRF51822 development board

  2. CC2541 development board

  3. CC debugger for TI's CC2541

  4. CC2541 based BLE sniffer
I guess I would have much fun with these toys in later weeks.

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

幼犬書桌椅選擇心得 升降桌 兒童桌椅

Herman Miller Aeron 一代氣壓棒維修

STM32 UART + DMA,使用HAL實作TX/RX,以及不定長度接收